RAI Amsterdam | 6 - 9 November 2023
Aquatech Innovation Award
Innovations at Aquatech Amsterdam
For many years now, the Aquatech Innovation Award has been granted to the most innovative product, service or solution in the water industry. The winner will be selected from a line-up of top-notch innovative technologies, most of them world firsts, by an expert jury. The contenders compete for the overall title, and the winner will be revealed during the opening ceremony on 1 November.
Read more about the winners of the Aquatech Innovation Award 2021.
We will announce on this website and on our social media accounts when the registration for the Aquatech Innovation Award 2023 is open!
Aquatech Innovation Award Overall Winner 2021
Category winners announced
A total of 12 innovative technologies were nominated from over 50 entries by an expert jury. Category winners and the overall winner of the Aquatech Innovation Award 2021 were revealed at the opening ceremony of Aquatech Amsterdam.
The category winners are:
- Wastewater Treatment: CLC for decentralised water provision - Nijhuis Saur Industries & Semilla Sanitation
- Transport and Process & Control: Live KEY - Hawle Service GmbH.
- Innovation - not yet to market: Autonomic Inspection Robot - Submerge
- Water Supply: BIO-310 UV LED Reactor - Typhon Treatment Systems Ltd.
- Green Chemicals for Water: Wasser 3.0 detect | remove | reuse - Wasser 3.0 GmbH
Launching the Aquatech Community Award
Besides the official Jury, water tech professionals can now also vote for their own favourite innovation – the popular vote. The entry with the highest number of votes receives the Aquatech Innovation – Community Award.
Aquatech Community Award goes to...
Aquatech Innovation Award Categories
- Wastewater treatment
- Water Supply (Drinking Water, Clean Water Point of
Use / Point of Entry)
- Transport and Process & Control
- Green Chemicals for Water Technology – new category
- Innovation – not to market yet
The entries will be judged on 3 criteria:
- Practicality (technical, economical, feasibility)
- Sustainability (environment, security, energy and
The Aquatech Innovation Award jury consists of:
- Prof. Dr. Ir. C.J.N. Buisman (Wetsus – Chairman of the
- Prof. Dr. Ir. W.M. de Vos (TU Twente)
- Ir. P. Kamp (PUM Netherlands Senior Experts)
- Dr. Ir. Wilbert van de Ven EMBA (Grundfos Holding
- Drs. H.J. Gastkemper (Stichting RIONED)
- Dr. Ir. A.J.H. Janssen (Shell Global Solutions)
- Ir. C.A. Uijterlinde (STOWA)
- Prof. M. Kennedy, PhD (IHE Delft, Institute for Water
- Prof. Drs. J.S. Vrouwenvelder, PhD (KAUST King
Abdullah University of Science and Technology)
The proceeds of the AquaRun go to: AMREF, WaterStarters
Aquatech is committed to creating a healthier future for all of us. In light of this principle, the proceeds of the AquaRun registration fees (€25) will be donated to AMREF WaterStarters, to support their projects in Kenya.
WaterStarters in Kenya
This program creates sustainable water solutions for rural and peri-urban communities in Kenya. In Kenya, 1 out of 3 people drink water from unprotected sources leading to waterborne diseases such as diarrhoea. Diarrhea is the second leading cause of death of children under 5 years. In rural households, girls and women are 6 times more likely to fetch water than men, walking up to 12 km per day. This negatively effects school attendance and performance, and prohibits women to channel time and resources to other productive activities. The spread of Covid-19 results in growing inequalities, underlining the importance of water and hygiene for all. Amref believes that every human being should have access to safe and affordable drinking and household water and that no one should suffer from waterborne diseases. Our ambition is to radically improve this situation for 1.5 million Kenyans in water-stressed areas in the coming 7 years.
WaterStarters is a franchise that renovates and builds 600 water supply systems, each of them designed together with the community to match their specific needs. WaterStarters offers private operators and communities (franchisees) the opportunity to own and manage a successful water business, providing them with access to funding for the initial investment.